Tuesday, January 6, 2009

To Collar or Not to Collar?

One (somewhat minor) issue that I have been thinking over is whether or not to wear a collar once the church is up and running and, if so, how often. I have always thought that I would own at least one collar for certain occasions (it can very useful in hospitals, for example), but never thought I would wear one regularly because, to be honest, I don't like them. They seem very stuffy and old-fashioned to me. I mean, just look at this picture - LAME-O!

That being said, in my current context, a collar might be quite helpful. Whatever you may think, NYC is actually a very institutional, conservative place. Credentials & authority matter, all the more so with Manhattan's many Catholics and Episcopalians, both lapsed and active. Also, a collar might make me look older than 18. To be sure, the collar will "turn off" some, but wearing one may draw more.

I remember one friend telling me how, the very first time he wore a collar on the street (on the way to the reception following his ordination!) he was accosted by a young man seeking relationship advice.

Any thoughts?

9 comments:

Aaron M. G. Zimmerman said...

RJ, you are way better looking than this guy. You should totally go for it. But it will need to be small, because you have a skinny neck.

R-J Heijmen said...

I feel simultaneously affirmed and enraged

Todd Brewer said...

If Buddy Holly can make thick glasses you cool, I have full confidence that you can make the white collar fashionable.

R-J Heijmen said...

what are you guys, collar pushers?

The real question is whether my wife would leave me, being an anti-establishment California girl:)

Also, could I wear it to bars? what would that be like? Would I feel pressure to be better than I actually am?

R-J Heijmen said...

jaime says she would

Todd Brewer said...

Technically, doesn't getting ordained mean that you're PRO-establishment?

But if you are truly anti-establishment, and you are getting ordained against your principles, then refusing the collar is your "last stand."

But hey, if Jaime would leave you, then by all means wear a tank top instead.

Jeremy said...

I'm a pro collar kinda guy, but only if you replace it in a safety deposit box for a pair of revolvers and ammo, like Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider...you know, when your laypeople start catching on to your alliance with the establishment......

Nick Lannon said...

I wasn't technically ACCOSTED...I'm a collar-pusher, too, or have become one. Great conversation starter: "Um, I haven't been to church in forever, but..."

Dr. Jack Lumanog said...

RJ-great blog, BTW. I'm a collar kinda guy. Especially when I'm out East and in Chicago. I always get into such wonderful spiritual conversations with people. And, sometimes, it nets you some free food! At least for me in Hoboken, anyway.